More Notes to Myself

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

The Best and Worst Meals I Have Eaten:

My love for food was born in my Grandmother Hoopes’ house at Thanksgiving. I will never forget the taste of her mashed potatoes – potatoes grown in her own garden whipped with cream from her own cows – and turkey gravy. Simply heavenly. She also made her own ice cream and her own whipped cream for her homemade pies. I could never get enough of all that good food at Thanksgiving. If I had had more room, I would have gone on eating it until it was gone.

I also remember an awesome dinner at the Log Haven one night with Wes. He was still working for Kessler and Rust and had a client who owned that restaurant. The owner thought a lot of Wes and insisted that we have the Chateau Briand with all the trimmings on the house. That delicious meat melted in our mouths. Afterward, we were so full, we could hardly move, but the owner insisted that we stay and have Bananas Flambé for dessert. It was a fantastic treat, or would have been if we hadn't made ourselves so sick eating it.

We also had many fine dinners at Nino's, a restaurant on the top floor of the University Club Building. Another one of Wes’ clients, who owed his law firm a lot of money, owned it. It was our favorite place to take friends and family for lovely (and free) dinners.

By far the worst meal I have ever had to eat was on Christmas Eve in Germany at the home of one of our investigators. I was extremely homesick anyway and needed some comfort food to make me feel better. I had been told that we would be having soup, so I was expecting some nice hot and hearty dish with meat, potatoes and vegetables. Instead, we were served fish soup, stone cold. I don’t know if it was the terrible flavor of cold, raw fish, or the relative deprivation of the reality vs. my expectations, or simply the fact that I was so far away from home on Christmas, but I "didn’t get a match." It was a totally miserable evening. The investigator had gone to a lot of trouble and expense to make us something he thought would be a real treat for us, and I couldn’t even hide how awful I thought it was.

So, what were the best and worst meals you have ever eaten?

5 Comments:

Blogger Allie said...

Perhaps your German Christmas raw fish soup experience has contributed to your aversion for SUSHI?
I think it is awesome that you started a blog, my little momma. Isn't it fun?

6:02 PM  
Blogger -Wes- said...

Best- Allison's wedding dinner stands out in my mind right now. The food was excellent... the salmon, the wine... but the company really made it a meal I'll always remember.

Worst- Does everybody still remember Grandma H.'s fit-to-be-thrown-over-the-fence "treats."

7:23 PM  
Blogger Allie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Allie said...

I agree with Wes...I really think my wedding luncheon was the best. I'm still working on recreating the garlic potatoes that we had. (I call them the "wedding potatoes", and I'm actually really close on this one). It was amazing to have all of the people that I care about so much together eating that delicious food and in such a beautiful place....unforgettable. (Whoever put that whole thing together was a genius)!

The worst...I've also got to agree with Wes on this one....Grandma Hanna's mint-applesauce-nasty-throw-over-the-fence brownies. YUCK!

11:04 AM  
Blogger Danae said...

I don't remember so much a specific meal as I do the places and people.

I remember a Thanksgiving at Granmda and Grandpa Turner's house while Gary was on his mission. It was one of the few times I saw Grandpa before he really started getting sick.

I also love all the fun times we've had, squished into Mom's house with some people at the big table and some people at the kids table. I always wanted to be on the big table with the grown-ups.

I remember meals, both at home and out at restaurants when Dad would stack anything and everything in site. Milk cartons, butter containers, salt & pepper shakers. I think quite a few times they crashed to the ground and Mom made that, "Not at MY table, please" face.

The best, I think, is when Dad would put one string of spaghetti on your plate after lightly twirling it in the Spaghetti sauce and telling us we can have more after we've finished what's on our plate and we're still hungry.

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home