More Notes to Myself

Thursday, February 16, 2006

What I Admired About My Mother:

Since I was from a large family and arrived in the middle of it, I saw my mother with babies. Perhaps not so much with Mark, who is just 3 years younger than me, but definitely with Odene, Sharilee, Shane and Nolana. She was a wonderful mother. The thing that stood out to me was how gentle and patient she was with babies. I watched her bathe, diaper, wrap and feed them with great care. Her love for them was apparent to me even as a young girl. Years later, when I had my own babies, my mother had a very calming effect on them and on me. Any one of my crying children that she held would immediately quiet down and, most of the time, fall asleep. They sensed from her experience and her confidence that all was well. I could also get some much-needed sleep, knowing she was there.

My mother loved to sew. I had heard stories about how, growing up, she would sew clothes for her younger brother and sister, and for their cats. Every year in August, she would sew our school clothes, usually two or three outfits for each of us. Before we wore them to school, however, she would enter them in the Lincoln County Fair and almost without fail, they would win blue ribbons. Her specialty was making new outfits out of old outfits – a skill that served her very well during the Depression and which was appreciated in a large family without a lot of money. I didn’t own a "store-bought" dress until I was a junior in high school. My mother also sewed my wedding dress, which I loved and wore to the temple for many years after I was married.

My mother was a very staunch Mormon from a very faithful Mormon family. On my mother’s side of the family, I was descended from Charles C. Rich, a polygamous Mormon apostle during Brigham Young’s era. My mother attended church meetings faithfully, even when she had to walk there. The only time my mother missed a meeting was when she was too sick to hold up her head. At my mother’s funeral, my older brother, Ross told a story about being a young boy and deciding at the last minute that he wanted to go to church with my mother. Her reaction was a mystery to him at first, because she didn’t seem pleased at all that he wanted to go with her. She actually tried to talk him out of going. When he refused to stay home, she reluctantly allowed him to get ready and go with her, but he noticed that she cried all the way there. It wasn’t until much later that he learned what she was so upset about on that day. He learned that, until that day, she had had a 100 % attendance record, but because she had waited for Ross to get ready and walk with her, she had missed one of her meetings. She may have taken her attendance a bit too seriously, by my standards, but I always did admire her for her steadfastness and determination. Come hell or high water, she was dependable.

After I grew up, I regretted not having been closer to my mother. I regretted not having known her better and I grieved for all the things she gave up in order to be a "good Mormon" wife and mother. For example, she was a very good artist, and I never saw anything that she drew until I was in high school. I don’t remember her ever taking time for herself to just do the things that she loved to do. She was totally dedicated to her family and spent her entire life taking care of us.

3 Comments:

Blogger Danae said...

What I remember most about my Grandma...

I remember BJ's and the drinking fountain that was always running. I remember Grandma always buying us books of stickers for our sticker books and Allie and I would trade with Jeanne and Trina.

I remember my pink blankie that I carried around until it was literally in rags. I remember being in Wyoming one late night and Grandma gave me a night gown that was WAY too long for me... but I loved it. It made me feel like a princess.

I remember 4th of July parades and fireworks on the driveway by Ross and Beverly's house. I remember Dragon in the Dark on the stairs in the basement that was ALWAYS so much colder than the upstairs. I remember the ceral cabinet and green punch.

I remember the love I would feel being in Grandma and Grandpa's house. They always had hugs and smiles and such kind eyes. We knew they loved their grand-children. I knew they didn't have a lot, but without fail, I would get a birthday card every year and some small trinket at Christmas time. Usually a sewing kit from BJ's. :)

I remember trying to distance myself when they started getting older so that when they left us, I wouldn't be so sad. I feel now that I made a mistake by doing that. I should have gone up more often and visited more. I wish I could have said goodbye to Grandpa. It was an experience I'll never forget when I saw Grandma in that hospital bed and I leaned down to hug her frail frame, and kiss her tiny hand. She looked me right in the eyes and told me that I had been a fine grand-daughter. Her eyes weren't old. They were still soft and child-like, and it was crushing that her body couldn't keep up with her Spirit.

I said goodbye and I'm SO glad, because she knows I loved her, and she knows I loved my Grandpa.

She was perfect. I hope that when I have children of my own and then grand-children that they will love me as much as I loved her.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Allie said...

What I remember about my Grandma....

I remember driving up to Grandma and Grandpa's house in Star Valley every summer. I remember wondering how we could drive "up" to Wyoming when we definately went "down" Mill Street to get there. I remember hoping we could go the way past the Devil's Slide.

I remember my pink dolly and my blankee that Grandma had made for me that HAD to go EVERYWHERE I went. The blankee has one side that is black, and one side that is cream-colored with butterflies on it. It had to be on me at night--butterfly-side up so that the spiders couldn't get me.

I remember a few years ago when I asked Grandma for a new pink dolly because mine from childhood was gone. She said, "I'll have to see if I have any more of those hands and faces left. And what color do you want if I don't have pink." I said, "But Grandma, it HAS to be pink!" I told her if it couldn't be pink, then any other color would do. That Christmas, I got a new pink dolly from Grandma--just like the one I'd had as a child.

I remember 4th of July parades where candy was thrown and fireworks on the driveway. I remember a surprise birthday party thrown for me at Grandmas house--I was sure everyone had forgotten my birthday, but it was a surprise--and Grandma made me a cake shaped and decorated like a pink unicorn.

I remember Grandparent days at school when Grandma and Grandpa would drive all the way down from Star Valley for an hour or two program at my school, and then drive all the way back again. I remember that they didn't have much, but they never forgot a birthday or important occasion.

I will always remember and cherish the beautiful quilt that Grandma made for my wedding. It, like my dolly and some pillowcases she made for me for Christmas one year, is pink. She was not feeling well at all, and she needed her sister to help her make it for me, but the quilt is beautiful--a labor of love from my Grandmother in the last months of her life. I will cherish it forever.l

Grandma and Grandpa Turner were two of the most loving people to ever touch my life. I remember them both always telling me how proud they were of me or how beautiful they thought I was--even when I was an ugly teenager and couldn't see any beauty in myself. They always believed in me. They were amazing grandparents, and I hope, as Danae said, that I can be as neat a Grandma as my Grandma Turner was to me.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Chelsee said...

I don't have as many memories about going up to Star Valley as my sisters do, but I remember that I had a suprise party up there too. I remember the parades where they would throw candy. I remembered I was always jealous of Allison's purple Unicorn blanket cause I wanted one and mine was a big dog. I loved that Grandma Turner always remembered about us. I am sorry that she won't get to see me be married and that I won't get a wedding blanket of my own. I really do miss her and I regret that I wasn't able to get off work to see her before she died. She was always a constant reminder to me that not all grandmas were as mean as Grandma Hanna.

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home