More Notes to Myself

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Ring the Bells

I would say that the family can pretty much count on Kjersti’s making a blog entry every day. Every morning when I come to work, fire up the computer and check the family blogs, I can bet that there will be something new from Kjersti. Chelsee and Danae are quite regular writers, too. Even Allison, with all she is doing currently, writes fairly frequently. So, I think, “What is wrong with me?”

It is not that absolutely nothing happens in my life. Just last week we got new carpet in a bedroom downstairs and on the stairs themselves; we got our poor, sad plantation shutters repaired so they look perfect now; we got new ceilings in the kids’ bathroom and the family room downstairs; and we got various drywall repairs done throughout the house, including the crumbling wall in the master bathroom. It feels really good to have those things fixed. There is still a lot of painting to be done and much junk to be gone through, thrown away and organized. But many of the major things that I wanted to fix in my house have now been fixed.

Things happen at work, too. Last week, I was moved from my nice spot by a huge window in the engineering department into a corner at the end of our lunch/meeting room upstairs. You guessed it: There are no windows. My boss’s current desk is what we had been using to set our coffee pot on in the engineering section. My own desk has been put together from various parts of various desks that could be scrounged from storage. I tell people who seem surprised to see us where we are that we had to make room for the important people in the company. Sarcastic? Oh, yes.

I read about Kameryn and Isaac and see many pictures of them, and I feel guilty that I didn’t do more to capture those same kinds of moments when you all were little. I was really overwhelmed with motherhood and there wasn’t an internet or a digital camera in a cell phone to make it any easier for me. I do hope you all know that I loved each one of you just as much as Kjersti loves Kameryn and Danae loves Isaac. I was just as awed at the wonder of each of you as you grew, and just as proud of everything each of you learned. That is why, when there is a flood in the basement and my boxes of stuff get wet, I still can’t part with Kjersti’s President Awards or Wesley’s grades from Junior High. You would have seen pages of stuff lying around the room so they could dry and then be put back into another box. I keep thinking maybe I can throw them away next time.

Anyway, as I read Kjersti’s process of planning what she will write, by noticing what she thinks about and what she does, I think, “I could do that.” Goodness knows, I do think about things. So I will try to write more often. I know I have said that before, but I will still try to write more often.

Here is a poem I found when I was going through my wet treasures last week-end:

Ring the bells you still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything.
That’s how the light gets in.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chelsee said...

Mom! You are so cute! I love you so much! I don't feel bad that there aren't more pictures of me growing up. I understand that technology is progressing, and that is why it is easier now to take pictures of Kameryn and Isaac, not because they are loved more than we were. Plus, you always found the money to get the pictures of us that we had taken at school, no matter how much dad thought that it was a waste of money. Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that I love you and I am sorry that I don't get to see you more often. You, me and Kjersti all need to plan a day to watch the Last Kiss. (Danae, you can come too if it is a movie you are interested in seeing. I haven't heard from you one way or another on it...)

9:17 PM  
Blogger Kjersti said...

MOM! I love it when you blog! It's so fun to hear your thoughts! I have to say that it must feel good knowing you're in school if your job has you at a make-shift desk in a room with no windows. Things like that are much more tolerable when you know that you don't have to put up with it for too long!
I don't think anyone, especially your kids, doubt that you were a great, devoted mom. Nothing at all has changed and we can tell how much you love us in all the little things you do, from making us dinner on our birthdays to setting up Easter candy for hours the night before so we can take 5 minutes to collect it all. Thank you for being such an attentive and awesome mom. We learn a lot from you.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Danae said...

Mom, I think that the way Kjersti and I love your children is a direct reflexion of the kind of mother you were to us. Two Christmases ago, we were at Karleen's house and I was talking to Kameryn and the Aunt's all said I sounded just like you. :) There are so many ways to show your love, pictures don't have to be on top of the list. :)

I want to come and see all that you've done to your house! I know that must feel SO good. :) I'm proud of you for getting it done. You have really taken the reigns and are creating the kind of life you want by fixing the house, going to school, etc. I'm proud of you for being proactive and making it what YOU want.

I love you! I'm excited to read your upcoming blogs!

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home