More Notes to Myself

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Week-End Happenings and Upcoming Events

On St. Patrick’s Day, I ran the Leprechaun Lope 5K. This race starts at the southeast corner of Capital Hill, heads north up the City Creek Canyon Road, curves around and goes up the east hill toward the City Cemetery, but then turns around at 1100 East and goes back down the canyon to Memory Grove (where Kjersti and Jay were married). My goal was to run this race faster than I did the Painter’s Sun in January and I guess you could say I met my goal. I was expecting that I could improve my time by two minutes or more, but with all the uphill and the higher altitude, I was only faster by about 10 seconds. My official time was 34:13.31. I was 13th out of 20 in my age group and 297th out of 403 overall. I can say with relief that I have never been last in any race I have run, but I am always afraid I will be. Being last would just be too tough to take. Oh, and even though my socks were green, I didn’t win the prize for best costume. :(

As Kjersti has reported, the family went to dinner Saturday night at the El Matador in Bountiful to celebrate her birthday and then we came back to my house for games. We had a great time. It has been at least 6 months since I had any Mexican food and it was both delicious and awful, as my stomach gave me fits after I ate it.

On Sunday, I cleared my flower beds and got them ready for new wood chips. My real estate agent advised that I make them easy to maintain while I am showing the house. I worked for several hours and by evening was so sore that I couldn’t finish the job. I could barely make a fist with my hands after all the junk trees I cut with the “Daddy Clippers.” I dug out more overgrown, evasive grass than it would be proper to describe. Fortunately, Geoffrey came home just in time to help me get the last of the clippings into the garbage and out to the street. Otherwise, it would still be sitting there with me helpless to do anything about it for another week. When I went to work on Monday, my legs and back were so sore from all the bending and pulling that I could hardly climb the stairs to my office.

I hate to mention this, but this coming weekend I am attending the Landmark Forum workshop. I know, I know. Trudy talked me into going during a moment of weakness and now that I’ve paid for it, I can’t make myself walk away. I figure I will “participate” by watching and listening and who knows, it may be just what I need this time. After all the workshops I have gone to and all the self-help books I have read, sooner or later I should get the answer that “fixes” me, don’t you think? I promise you all that I will not subject any of you to my over-enthusiasm when it is finished and I also promise that if you will forgive me for going, I will never do it again.

7 Comments:

Blogger Little Momma said...

How embarrassing. I meant "invasive" grass.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Allie said...

I'll tell you what, that invasive grass is also evasive if you ask me. I have very fond memories of trying to keep that garden lovely, and the grass and junk trees were the biggest problem.

When I'm home next month, I'm happy to help you with the garden if you aren't done with it yet.

Congrats on beating your previous time. 10 seconds is 10 seconds. It can make or break you. (Especially if you're turning left when the light is suddenly changing from green directly to red. If only I had been 10 seconds faster then!)

4:59 PM  
Blogger Kjersti said...

Mom, you're such a stud! Your front yard looks so good, no wonder you're sore! You worked so hard! Anytime you need me and Jay to come up and help you, we're both more than happy to, so please don't hesitate. We're still planning on the painting party, but I may have to paint some fung shui symbols on the walls first. I'm cool like that!

9:10 PM  
Blogger Chelsee said...

Oh... how sad! I would have given you the best costume award for having green socks since you're the best one!! :)

The front yard looks awesome mom, and I hope that you do have a good time at your training. I will forgive you for going. (As long as you don't try to get me to go to it when your done.) ;)

9:37 PM  
Blogger Danae said...

HOO-RAY!! Mom, you are such an awesome person! I love that you set goals and you are able to go for them. I wish that was a quality I was better at. You're a great example to me. So, good job on your run! I wish you would have told me about it so I could have been there to cheer you on! It's nice to have a personal cheerleader every now and then. :)

I'm also so proud of you for all you've done to fix up your house! It must feel so good to look back and see all of your progress. I am excited for you to be starting a new chapter in your life! Legal secretary and new home all in the same year! Way to go for your dreams, Mom!

9:53 AM  
Blogger -Wes- said...

I am beginning to think that personal change comes one step at a time and not all at once. For example, this year I'm not eating at McDonalds. Next year I won't eat at McDonalds and find something else to improve in my life, too.

If, at your retreat, you found one thing that you really took to heart and made a change in that direction, it would be worth the money in my book. There's nothing to be embarassed about in self improvement. But it doesn't happen all at once.

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said.

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home