More Notes to Myself

Friday, May 25, 2007

An Update from Little Momma

I guess I sort of left everyone hanging at the end of my Legal Secretary classes. I took my finals on April 24th and got them back in the mail during the first week or so of May. I got 100% on the first test (my teacher wrote, “this is no surprise”) and I only missed one on the second test. I immediately thought of Harry Potter when Hermione Granger gets all “Outstandings” on her O.W.L.s, except for one “Exceeds Expectations.” Harry says, “You are actually disappointed, aren’t you?” I had to laugh, because I actually was disappointed! But I had 283 points out of 275 possible in one class and 218 out of 215 possible in the other, so I had higher than 100% as an average for both classes (I got all the extra credit points). My teacher said I was the best student she had ever taught. She offered me her cell phone number and said she would be happy to give me a good reference whenever I applied for a job. I haven’t applied for one yet.

I have also lost heart in selling my house and have begun the process of refinancing as an alternative to it. Julio, the guy from Countrywide who I talked to just last night, said that I could get a 30-year fixed loan at 6.375% with a monthly payment of $1135, if all goes well. That would be about $300 less than I am paying now, so it sounded pretty good. I was upset, however, to learn that Sallie Mae, the company that gave Kjersti the school loan for her MA training, still has a $30,000 loan on my credit report that is not my loan. I fought with them two years ago about it and thought I had gotten the problem resolved. But now I see that all they did was mark it “Payment Deferred.” It still shows as a debt I owe, so it still affects my debt to credit ratio and lowers my credit rating. As Chelsee would say, “I was…SOMAD!” Now I have to start fighting with them again. If you want my advice, NEVER GET A LOAN FROM SALLIE MAE. They don’t know their head from a hole in the ground. And that’s all I have to say about that.

I am really looking forward to taking some time off work for the Turner Family Reunion in Moab a couple of weeks from now. I know this is weird, but I love staying in hotel rooms. I also love hiking and scenic driving through all those beautiful sandstone formations in that area of Utah. I have never been to Canyonlands, but I have hiked in Bryce Canyon and Zion’s National Park and the natural beauty always amazes me.

I am also looking forward to the Shakespearean Festival again this year. Allison got Chelsee and me tickets to see three plays in July: King Lear, Twelfth Night and Coriolanus. We have had so much fun hanging out together and going to see these plays. I have had my own resident scholar on Shakespeare at my side the whole time to explain anything I don’t understand. It reminds me of going to Washington D.C., Gettysburg and Spring Hill with your dad. I had my own private historian to narrate for everything I saw there.

Mr. Groen promises that we are “this close” (he holds up his thumb and pointer finger about an eighth of an inch apart) to becoming multi-millionaires. It should be any day now. He has been saying that for as long as I’ve worked for Groen Brothers Aviation, so it has become sort of a joke for us “old-timers.” But, even as a long-term goal, millions of dollars sounds pretty good. I would like, just once, to deal with the problems that come from having way too much money.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kjersti said...

You're so smart, Mom, and I'm so proud of you. And I'm SO EXCITED that you're going to keep the house, I'll have a lot more fun with renevations knowing that it's going to help you and not someone else! I love reading your blogs. Thanks for writing!

10:29 PM  
Blogger Allie said...

Hey littleMomma, I'm very proud of you for acing your classes--let it be made clear once and forever that when your kids get suicidal over an A-, it's totally your fault!
I think it will be great if you are able to keep the house. I know you've fallen even more in love with it as you've gotten it fixed up.
I'm really looking forward to the Turner Reunion and to our trip to Cedar City too. They're going to be my "time off for good behavior." Since I'm going to busily studying for my boards until right before the Cedar trip.
Love you!
Allie.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Chelsee said...

Mom! You're the best one!! :) Good job on your classes! I also would love to be able to still have the house here to be able to visit once I move out. I can't wait for Shakespeare again this year!! It is always so much fun!! :) And I didn't even realize that I always says that "I was so mad" until you wrote that.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Danae said...

I would love to help you get your resume out there. Please let me know when you're readyu and we'll DO IT.

I'm excited for you to stay in your house. I hope that everything will work out for you and that Sallie Mae will figure it out. If you need me to get an attorney involved, just let me know. They love to fight my dirty little battles...

I am very jealous that you girls are going to the festival again. Alas and alak, I have no taste for Shakespeare and I think I would end up sleeping or something really uncool like that. I hope the rest of you have fun, though! I hope all goes well at the Turner Family Reunion. Since we can't make it, you'll have to take some pictures of my baby to show him off for me. :)

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also love the idea of staying in hotel rooms. It makes me feel wealthy and lazy and it's great to have someone else do the cleanup so that I can enjoy the trip. I feel jealous of your Shakespearian trip. I was able to go one year and had a ball but haven't had the opportunity to repeat it since. I hope you enjoy it. ntd

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home